Teachers resumes are unique because teachers are in a creative field, these resumes can have more flexibility than many “standard business” resumes. Examples of teacher resumes will be given later…
The use of graphics or different styles are often avoided in the traditional business world, but may be the perfect presentation for a teacher.
Preschool and elementary teacher resumes often have a “young” feel to them visually, but note that the actual wording should be professional and to the point – see the examples of teacher resumes.
Tips and hints
- When perusing examples of teacher resumes, be sure to look through as many as possible. A good place to find more are employment agencies. I will direct you to a site dedicated to teacher resumes in due course…
- As with all resumes, examples of teacher resumes can and do vary greatly depending on the individual’s experience and grade level.
- An elementary teacher resume sample may look very different from a sample education resume for a high school teacher.
- Use your best judgment and then model your own document after a free teacher resume sample or sample teacher resume.
- Do yourself a huge favor and browse through the rest of this site to pick up valuable tips about creating the perfect resume.
- Teachers, in particular, need to be especially meticulous about proofreading. While no one should have any errors in his or her resume, any spelling errors or misused words are simply unforgivable in teacher resumes.
- With all resumes, remember to tailor your resume to your own unique profile.
- It is okay to model sample resumes, but be sure to find those that mimic your own experience.
- If you are fresh out of college – stress your education and student teaching experience.
- If you are a seasoned teacher, stress your continuing education, your ability to stay abreast of current teaching philosophies and of course your experience.
Sample teaching resumes
Database Administrator Resume
A database administrator resume (like almost anyone working in a highly technical field) will use a different format than a standard business resume.
Areas that are likely to remain similar include;
- An introductory profile,
- A keyword summary,
- A reverse chronological listing of employment and
Browsing through free sample resumes and sample database administrator resumes will help give you a feel for the common threads between these and a more standard resume.
What’s different for technical fields?
Information that will be different for those in technical positions includes the information listed up front, which can include all:
- Programming capabilities,
- Any specific consulting work,
- Larger projects.
How this information is presented can vary greatly – remember, you are trying to place the most emphasis on your most relevant experience and skills. Review the free sample database administrator resumes given below to get an idea of the various ways in which to best present technical information.
As with all resumes, the most important information should be listed near the top. A recent college graduate will be more likely to list education first, while a seasoned professional will likely list education last.
Hints and tips
While the standard rules of “what not to do” apply to all resumes, such as avoiding spelling and grammatical errors, writing in the third person, or creating an objective solely based on the applicant’s wishes, some areas of concern do exist for those in technical fields.
- First of all, your expertise needs to be obvious from the beginning. There is no point in burying your computer skills at the end of the resume when you are applying for a position in the computer science industry.
- This does not mean, that you should bombard the reader with a bunch of technical jargon that will only make sense to the most experienced computer technician. You never know who will be reading your resume, whether it is a person from human resources, a senior management person in programming, or a computer searching for keywords. Make sure you explain your core skills using the most appropriate language – a good idea is to use the job advertisement to guide you…
- The idea is to present your information in such a manner that you include as many keywords as possible (many books exist on this topic and provide comprehensive lists too large for this venue) while making sure a person who is not familiar with your field can get a general idea of what you are capable of .
- If you have a high level of technical experience, you may want to consider creating two resumes: one for human resources, and one for professionals in your industry.
Free Database Administrator Resumes
The following free database administrator resume samples provide a basic overview of the direction that this type of resume can take: